Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Heritage Book Plan

After a couple weeks of research, I finally have a plan on how I am going to approach this Heritage Album.  I have talked with a couple of people that are really genealogy savy (Savy..did I make this word up? Can't find it in the dictionary  lol)  and one of their suggestions that really rang a bell for me was to "approach this book as how each person you are scrapping about is related to you." For example:  The first book (I plan on doing 2) will be of my ancestors.  The second book will be of my descendants. (my husband, kids and their kids).  Each book will start with me and the first chapter in the ancestor book will be my parents.  The second will be my siblings, the third my maternal grandparents and the fourth my paternal grandparents and so on.  I plan on using tabs on the first page of each section that will signify how these people are related to me. 

After these first four chapters a little rearranging will be going on so that I can keep who is related to who straight.  So, after my maternal grandparents, I will insert my maternal aunts, maternal uncles, and maternal first and second cousins and so on.  On the other side, I will insert my pages of my paternal aunts, uncles and cousins after my paternal cousins.  Eventually the paternal side being the second "main chapter" will grow out to a book of its own as the maternal side grows. 

So what next you ask?  This is where it got confusing for me.  I knew what I wanted to scrap next, but what do you call them?  I would call them my great grandparents but how would I signify to which side they belonged?  My moms mothers side or my moms fathers side...I was told by my "genealogy guru Micky" that my moms mother's mother would be called my maternal, maternal grandmother and so my moms mother's father would be called my maternal paternal grandfather an so on. 

I did invest in the Family Tree Maker for my computer  a while ago. I was told that by keeping my information on there, the program would help me know what to call this people.  I haven't installed it yet...maybe later today.  I will let you know how it goes. 

So, that's it for today.  That's my plan for the heritage book.  Julie, Mary and Gina....let me know yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment