Thursday, September 15, 2011

Challenge #1

I'm So Excited!! I posted our very first challenge on Facebook last night.  I will probably try and keep the length of the post on Facebook somewhat short and we can refer to here for any of our lengthy conversations.  That way we won't tie up our friends status'.  I thought I would keep the first challenge small because I know that we all have very busy lives and not much room to crowd in any more activities or we wouldn't all still be feeling behind.!

I am looking forward to having some company on this journey and hoping that Julie J and Rita will join us.  (My new friends from MN. and YES I too wish we lived closer!)

So, the first challenge is to get our "bling" in order. I don't really know why I chose to start where I did but anyone that knows me knows how I love bling! Boy do I have lots of it.  Problem is at times its all over the place. Hanging on the door still in a sack, still in unpacked project totes from the last crop. My idea, okay we all know that at times I can be an over-achiever, I could just put it in a plastic snap top container; but then again a pretty container would be so much fun and fun to use too! So my dilemma is do I want to take the time to decorate "bling up" a cigar\pencil box (did I just use those two words together?) with awesome Graphic 45 paper and add a little 7 Gypsies knob to open it? I am going to a crop tonight....hmmm I could work on it there.  My only other consideration is that it has to remain portable because when I pack for a crop, I pack my project envelopes and just take the whole bling box and my other embellishments to finish up my pages. 

Some things I have considered:
  1. Mine needs to be portable as I love going to crops and don't always have the time to chose the right embellishment or I just might change my mind once I get there.
  2. What kind of container do you want to use and where will it be stored when your not using it.  Will it fit? Mine goes into a certain drawer in my scrap room.
  3. I plan on organizing my bling by color once I get it all together.  If I am looking for something in particular....it is usually a certain color and then I take into consideration the size and shape.
  4. As you go through your stash....are there any colors that you are running short on or don't have but think that you will use.  Make note of them. ANOTHER EXCUSE TO GO SHOPPING!  LOL  I usually keep a small notebook in my purse with notes on it for what I am shopping for. You'll never know when the shopping opportunity my arise and you  will know just what you need. 
  5. Lastly, when you are putting it all away....purge the things that you know you won't use! Not as in throwing it away, but I have a bin I am constantly keeping for holding my items that I don't LOVE anymore.  (you know the ones that were an awesome idea when you bought them...and all of the sudden you are asking yourself....what was I thinking....hahahaha.....I have quite a few of those.) Price them before you toss them into the bin and then when the next "garbage" sale or should I say garage sale comes around you will be ready
Just a closing thought....Do you scrapbook pictures or do you scrapbook stories?  A bonus challenge...I am working on my binder that I have labeled "My Book of Stories".  Obviously, I now scrap by story rather than pictures.  (Before you freak out, yes you can still scrap chronologically and scrap by story if you are one that scraps chronologically  LOL)  Gather a binder, I started with a used one.....and some dividers that I had laying around the house. Doesn't have to be a big one....  I think mine is an inch or inch and a half. Have dividers enough for each member of your family plus maybe a couple of extra. Get it into one spot and we can to from here next week! Most of all have fun....and do not stress!!! If you don't get time to get something done it is no biggy....Remember this is supposed to be FUN!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm gonna get started......after my errands of course today! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a couple of things...I talked with Kris today and she added that we ought to label our container "Bling" or whatever name you have for it.
    Talking to Julie J tonight and realized that I may not have been clear on a few points. You don't have to post what you did for a container or how you chose to organize a particular thing. Only if you want to and then in that case pictures would probably have to go on Facebook because I don't think you could post to here. Any questions...don't be afraid to ask or give ideas. Your ideas may help someone else out that is struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to try a couple of times to get that last comment to post. Type what you want to say in the white box. In the part where it says comment as select Name\URL. Type your name in the name box and you can leave the URL part empty. Select continue. Then it will ask you to type in a word that it gives you. Type in the work and hit post. Hope that this helps. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first blog comment - how exciting! :-) I'm looking forward to ideas and even more excited, after talking to Kathy tonight, to start my Book Of Me!!! Love the labeling comment - I've been working on making my whole craft room mobile over the past couple years (now that I know how fun retreats and gatherings are!) I love the labeling idea too as now that I'm getting more Thirty-One bags to keep me mobile, maybe I can finally personalize my bags. We have a new shop in Spring Valley that will do that embroidering, so I'll have to check out what they charge and go to town. I told Kathy on the phone tonight - Sunday is gonna be cold and rainy here, so it'll be Bling Fling Fun Day in my craft room to containerize!!! I love that new word!!! Oooh, maybe I should personalize one of my bags with that new word!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first step to getting organized for the retreats - my biggest challenge, as I think I have all my other goodies organized fairly well (but there is ALWAYS room for improvement). Kathy - you will be so proud of me....I got a memory keeper value pack - 10 envelopes for only $6.49 at Michaels. ALso got some really cute 12 x 12 paper for 16 cents a sheet - can't beat! So, tonight my craft tables FINALLY get cleaned off, everything gets put back in its place, and then I have to start getting Xmas cards ready for a shoe box exchange coming up soon. I helped Mary get one of her cards ready and cut up today. We had a nice day together and then we went and got lunch and brought it to Brenna in the hospital and the 3 of us had lunch together. Mary and I also had quite the experience when we stopped to get Brenna free undies from Victoria's Secret and get this - we were both helped by gay men! Now, that was just weird. When we got to the hospital, Brenna was finishing up rehab, we got back to her room and before serving her lunch, we said we had to follow hospital protocol, went into the bathroom, put her new undies on our heads, and then properly served her with "hair nets" upon our heads! She laughed and thought we were crazy and yes, we are! Man, I wish I were Bewitched and could just wiggle my nose....okay, time to tidy up this joint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am proud of you Julie! Now as you find pictures, or buy paper for a specific layout or come up with a story to tell....you tuck it in your 12 x 12 envelope. I stack my envelopes (pages to go I call them) into a 12 x 12 project box bought at Hobby Lobby (Michaels have them too). Label that box Pages To Go or Layouts and you are ready for a crop.In my envelope I include:the layout I had in mind if I have one, the paper, journaling notes or the story if I have it ready and the pictures.

    Sounds like you and Mary put a smile on Brena's face! I hope someone took pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sorry - no photos of Victoria's Secrets "special" hairnets is allowed - it's very, very private!! I guess she told all her friends about it tho!

    Well, I spent the whole day and only got 2 of my Xmas cards ready for swap - such a putzy thing to get everything cut up (20 cards of each design), but we always have fun when we do the swaps!

    BUT, I got a dozen Xmas cards made for Operation Write Home too as I'm attending that the first weekend in Nov and I wanted to have a few made up ahead of time. Now my craft room is all messed up again and I still have one more design, but gonna do a super easy one.

    Time for bed - had a nice light soaking rain all day - will make my perennials that I transplanted a couple weeks ago happy!

    Time for bed!

    ReplyDelete